By Sandra Krug
Did you know April 11th was national pet day? At FANS we believe every day should be national pet day. Check out why having a pet in your life can be beneficial to you and the animal you choose.
Living with and caring for an animal (pet) involves a lot of responsibility. But there are so many advantages of keeping a pet that I think everyone ought to think about it. The right pet can add to your happiness, health, and overall sense of wellbeing. Pets are entertaining and can be a great conversation starter, too.
If you are considering getting a pet, these are some of the good things that having a pet can do for you!
See how a pet can be an excellent source of benefits in your life:
- Your pets are always happy to see you. Consider how good you feel when someone is so glad to see you. You can enjoy that sensation daily!
- Pets are accepting. Your pet does not care in the least if you have acne, if you are bald, if you are too skinny, or if you cannot dance. All pets love you exactly the way you are.
- A pet helps you meet people. When you love animals, you have something in common with a lot of people. More stores and outdoor restaurants are accepting patrons with dogs. Bring your dog to a store and see how many people start a chat with you.
- Pets are great for your health. Caressing a cat or dog lowers your blood pressure and pulse. Some research suggests that your children are also less likely to develop asthma or allergies when exposed to pets in the home. Even adults get a stronger immune system when exposed to pet dander.
- A pet can be an inexpensive friend. Many pets are affordable or even no-cost. And while they will have a few medical expenses here and there, most pets are healthier than most humans. Medical care is much less expensive, too.
- Pets reduce stress. A pet always loves you. It constantly listens to you but never judges you. You can say all your secrets to your pet, and they will never betray your confidence. They are also beautiful distractions from any challenges you may be facing.
- Pets are entertaining. Many pets can learn tricks. Dogs love to chase tennis balls, while cats like to chase mouse toys. Each animal has their unique personality and quirks. Pets can make you laugh and smile daily.
- A dog can keep you safer. Dogs hear almost everything. They bark whenever something unfamiliar is seen or heard. Most burglars, muggers, and other nefarious persons would rather keep away from locations with dogs. Just having a dog could save your life someday. Even cats have successfully kept their human families from disasters.
- A pet gives you reasons to get out of bed each day. If you are feeling down, a pet can give you a reason to keep going. Pets cannot feed themselves. They require fresh water. Some pets need to go outside to relieve themselves. A pet needs your support. It can serve as an incentive to pull yourself together.
- A pet requires few responsibilities. Place some food and water in a couple of bowls, and dinner served. A dog does not usually need to be diaper changed. A cat can spend a few hours alone with adequate food and water available. Most pets go to sleep without any problems.
Pets are not limited to birds, cats, or dogs. Many people prefer fish, insects, reptiles, or rodents. Follow your interests but understand what a particular type of pet will need. Most importantly, always adopt your pets from reputable animal shelters or rescues.
Keep an open mind. There is a just-right pet to match your lifestyle and preferences. Your new best friend is not far away.
10 Benefits of Pet Ownership, Alison & Co
Top 10 Benefits of Pet Ownership, webnuggetz.com
Top 10 Reasons You Should Own a Pet, lifehack.org